There are many causes of pain in the front of the foot. These problems can occur if there is instability in the the foot. If the foot unstable, stresses are applied the bones, joints and soft tissues that cause tissue damage and inflammation. Listed below are some common causes of forefoot pain.
- Bursitis is inflammation of the fluid-filled sac (bursa) that lies between a tendon and skin, or between a tendon and bone. The condition may be acute or chronic.
- Ligaments surrounding the metatarsophalangeal joints form a “capsule,” which helps the joint to function properly. Capsulitis is a condition in which these ligaments have become inflamed.
4. Dislocation of the metatarsophalangeal joint
- Metatarsalgia is a general term used to describe a painful foot condition in the metatarsal region of the foot (the area more commonly referred to as the ball-of-the-foot).
- This is a benign tumor of a nerve running between the metatarsals
- Inflammation of the tendons which course along the top of the foot